Friday, February 9, 2007

Positive Prospects - Part 2

Toby LaBon. The only African-American man--or person for that matter--that I spent time around on a frequent basis. Now here is a man I loved to be around. Toby, a gentle, humble, African-American man with a great sense of humor, was my Sunday School teacher throughout most of my time in high school. If my memory serves me correctly he was the only African-American in our congregation, aside from his two children.

I don't remember a whole lot about the Bible content or Christian thought that Toby taught me in that Sunday School class, and although he might hate to hear it I don't know that he was all that prepared for the class on a weekly basis. What Toby was to me, however, went way beyond the content of that class taking place behind that plastic curtain. He had a smile that could melt your heart from a mile away and a laugh that could shred your bitterness worse than any black hole. I don't remember once a negative comment flowing from his mouth, not once. He was a joy. He could tell a good fishing story better than most, and we had many conversations on this topic to be sure. He had a kind heart and he was always there to listen. I always looked for him when I came back from college even if I had to stop by his house for a hello. He had my respect.

What was it that Toby taught me? What was it about him that keeps him so close to the surface of my mind? I think he represents to me that intangible joy found in the midst of community. That elusive commodity that helps people through the hard times and helps them all the more to celebrate the good times. His face is imprtinted on my mind, and as I sit here typing this out, my brow is less furrowed and a smile graces my face. Thank you Toby. I hope the fish are biting.

2 comments:

Sue Perryman said...

Toby...another story. You remember that I usually shopped at the Kankakee Jewel? It definitely was not an unmixed crowd there. Then, once I happened to go to the Bourbonnais Jewel(where the church is) and I was thinking...Man I don't see one black person here. So boring! Then who walked up...Toby!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.