Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Revisiting Blog Standards and Expectations

When I began this blog, I did so for a variety of reasons. The main motivation was to create a forum through which I could process and share my beliefs. The intention of the function then was that those close to me would have a deeper insight into who I am and what I believe. This was never intended to be a platform through which to propound a particular belief. My hope was that, hopefully, in time others would share what they believe as well. Here is a quote from my first blog that reaffirms my original intended context for this blog.

"This [blog]is not intended to be place of argument [or polemics] but rather a place of sharing what we believe or are thinking. This page is set up on the presuppostion that those who contribute realize that they have not arrived. By this I mean they concur that knowledge has not reached its culminating point in the now past 20th century. They concur that knowledge and understanding of the physical and spiritual world around us is fluid and never reaches that point where it is absolute in its shape."

What is written on this blog should be written introspectively, not as an attack on what someone believes. A person should feel safe to post their ideas without retribution through harsh accusatory language. Not safe in the sense that all written here will match up with your beliefs or be necessarily comfortable.

Over the past few months, many people have wanted or requested to be able to ask questions in respect to blogs I or others have posted. In concession to this request I put forth some new guidelines which created room for questions to be posted in the comment section. The spirit of this was that a blogger could look at the question in the comment section and choose to or not to create a new blog in response to posited questions. After time had passed and few people were contributing to the blog, I pushed the envelope and opened up the comment section to anyone online.

To be fair to Anonymous, I have okayed every one of his posted comments. I did this mainly as a way to achieve a greater diversity in the views posted on this blog. I should have monitored the attitude of these posts more closely, but I did not. Some people may feel more comfortable posting using an anonymous but it should only be in the form of a simple question or in the form of a statement of "I believe" belief.

In the future a writer should write only about what they believe from a first person perspective. You should attempt at some level to explain your beliefs, if possible. The hardest part of this blog is that it requires one to put into words their beliefs. This is not easy task. Asking questions about someone else is much easier than saying what you believe, hence the obvious temptation to always respond with questions. My challenge to all participants now is that you only reply to a person's comment or blog with a blog that states your beliefs introspectively. This can be equally effective at posing other points of view. Do not approach this site as a way to persuade someone to a new point of view or as a mode of persuasion. Let a person read your beliefs and decide for themselves. I will post new guidelines soon to the right where my beliefs are currently posted.

No comments: