Thursday, January 25, 2007

Clairvoyance

Several people have asked for me to expound upon what this quote means. I hesitate, in one sense, to do this as I think that rarely does a quote mean for readers exactly what it meant for the author. Instead of saying what it means exactly, I will simply describe the moments that led up to its creation.

Over the past few days as I have been reflecting back on and writing on my life, my perceptions of my life, and how it has led me to where I am today, I found myself over and over again having clairvoyant moments. Not in the mystical or psychic sense, but in the sense that in the act of writing a belief or idea down it takes on something like a physical form that can be seen and is more real and accountable to reason than a fleeting thought or idea tied up in the recesses of my mind. Through this different light, I am allowed in a more clear-sighted manner to understand my beliefs often times leading to a refining and redefining of my beliefs. These new beliefs help me to understand how my beliefs were not really fully formed, therefore not somtheing I really believed.

1 comment:

aikimark said...

Paul,

I think I've had similar experiences in the past couple of years when the congregation in my church recites the Nicean Creed. When I paid attention to all the belief points in the creed, I realized that I didn't believe all of them and others points require interpretation.

Until I paid attention to the words coming out of my mouth, I didn't realize that they were just words and not my beliefs.

I hope your blog will allow me to examine most of my beliefs and my faith in a similar fashion. It looks like Cappy also appreciates your blogging.