Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Does Culture Affect How we Read the Bible

I believe that I need to be aware of how the culture and age in which I live creates a lens through which I read the Bible. I believe that I must strive to make sure that the lens through I am reading does not pervert content or become of greater value than the conent which I am viewing.

I believe that in the past I have been reading the Bible as a product of the industrial revolution. a model if input - output. I read the Bible and expect some sort of output from that time of reading. "How does this relate to me?". "Why did so and so do this in such and such story". I often times try too hard to force output out of every experience I have with scripture. Can the simple act of reading have an impact? Do I read scripture with myself too much in mind? How do I apporach my faith and beliefe from a more catholic stype of view and even on a larger scale including all of God's creation.

No comments: